Removal of Spots and Spills
Cleaning Agents and Equipment a good checklist to handle spills should include the following items. Do not use any household cleaners other than those listed, since many household products contain chemicals that may permanently damage your carpet.
- A solution of a mild liquid detergent (no more than 1/4 teaspoon of detergent to 32 ounces of water). A clear, non-bleach liquid dishwashing detergent such as Dawn, Joy, or clear Ivory is recommended. Do not use detergents which are cloudy or creamy because they may leave a sticky residue.
- A solution of white vinegar and water (1 part vinegar to 1 part water).
- White cloths, white paper towels
- An ammonia solution of one tablespoon of ammonia to one cup of water. Do not use on wool.
- Non-oily nail polish remover.
- Chewing gum remover (freeze or solid type).
- Non-flammable spot remover specifically for grease, oil, or tar, such as Carbona, Energine, or K2R.